If you are in a hurry and just want to find out what the Best Travel Camera is, then I’d recommend the Panasonic GH5 Lumix 4K Mirrorless as the best one.
As you go on vacations and explore various locations in the world, you might want to have a decent camera to capture unforgettable moments. As a matter of fact, you must! Memories are to be treasured and kept forever. To achieve this, you need a camera. I am not talking about your smartphone cam. I am talking about the type of camera that you would not worry about running out of memory, battery, or not performing well in low light areas. I am talking about an actual travel camera.
In this article, I will suggest things to look out for the best camera for travel photography. And the benefits of one when travelling as well.
As you read on, I will review these five best travel camera on the market today:
How To Choose The Best Travel Camera
When you want to select the best camera to travel with that will work well for you during your travels, there are some specific features to check out. Some of the features are as follows:
Smallness and lightness: since you are going on a journey, the least you want is extra weight and load. Hence, a portable and lightweight camera is what you should get. It was in the past that the bigness of a camera would determine its efficiency. Not anymore! Even a small camera can have a lot to offer these days. So, compact and lightweight is a recommendation for travel use.
Manual Settings: To get your own defined and perfect shots, a camera with manual Settings is suitable for you. They give you the power to control the camera settings by dialling in the shots you want based on situations.
Megapixels: If you want a camera that will give you increased detail, then more megapixels on large sensors is a feature you may want to look out for in your camera. With this feature, you are also able to sustain your image quality despite cropping.
Fast Lens: A lens that can perform well in low light conditions is good for travels. F/numbers like f/1.4, f/2.8, f/4 are used to know lens aperture measurements. The one with the lower number will give better results in low light situations than the high numbers.
HD/4K Video: On a higher scale, you will find quality travel cameras shooting video in HD 1080p. While in some cameras you will see 4K capabilities. Although this is not needed most times except for professional use.
Wi-Fi/Bluetooth Enabled: You may also consider buying a camera with its Bluetooth and Wi-Fi network so you can instantly transfer your pictures and videos to your smartphone and computer.
Interchangeable Lenses: Cameras that have interchangeable lenses give you the opportunity to select the perfect one that fits different situations. DSLR cameras and High-end mirrorless cameras are good examples of cameras with interchangeable lenses.
Weatherproofing: Traveling around means exposure to various conditions like dust and moisture. You do not want these settling on your camera as it may damage it. Hence, weatherproofing is an excellent feature to check.
Advantages Of A Travel Camera
1. Better quality: You may not see the need for a camera since you have your smartphone with you. There are smartphones these days that can capture sound pictures. But, phone cameras cannot rival with cameras. Cameras are for that purpose while smartphones aren’t. With cameras, you get bigger sensors and better lenses which means better image quality. Cameras are more reliable than smartphones.
2. Lenses: Cameras with interchangeable lenses allow you to choose different lenses that suit what you intend to capture. With cameras, you can make choices, and you can explore. If you do not travel with a camera, all you will be stuck with is your phone, and that’s it! No changing of lens.
3. Autofocus speed: Capturing moments like a kid running, moving water waves and other scenes that happen fast is achievable with cameras. Most cameras have fast autofocusing that allows you to capture these remarkable moments.
4. Low-light performance: With a good camera, you will get amazing images even in low light conditions. During your vacation, a lowlight performance camera will capture those moments that occur in the evening time.
5. Memory: Having your phone tell you ‘memory full’ could be frustrating. Since your camera is solely for pictures, it can accommodate more images. And you can even slide in an extra memory card if running out of space.
6. Battery life: You won’t want to run down your phone’s battery while taking pictures and then be denied the ability to make phone calls and other things you will need your phone for. Digital Camera batteries have more stamina to allow you to snap for a longer time. Most times, they come with extra batteries so you won’t worry about charging when out.
Five Best Travel Camera Reviews
- FREE Panasonic TRIPLE YOUR WARRANTY Bonus Offer, extends your 1 year warranty to 3 years -- Panasonic DC-GH5KBODY Lumix 4K Mirrorless ILC Camera Body RITZ CAMERA BUNDLE INCLUDES 11 ITEMS -- ALL BRAND NEW ITEMS WITH ALL MANUFACTURER-SUPPLIED ACCESSORIES + FULL USA WARRANTIES
- Professional photo and 4K video performance in a durable magnesium alloy body.
- 20.3MP Four Thirds sensor with no low pass filter.
- 4K video: internal recording at 4k60/50P (4:2:0 8bit) & 4k30/25P/24P (4:2:2 10bit).
- Variable video frame rates 4K: max. 60Fps & FHD: max. 180Fps.
One of the best kinds of camera for a trip is a camera with an interchangeable lens ability. Guess what? The Panasonic Lumix GH5 4K Mirrorless Camera has got this ability! You can switch to any lens you need to achieve the stunning pictures you wish to get. The camera works perfectly with a lot of Lumix and Leica lenses.
Get smooth video footage with this camera, even if you are moving as you shoot. It has an internal mechanism; five-axis image stabilization which makes the steady footage possible.
This astonishing travel camera features a technology called Defocus (DFD) technology. Which gives the camera the ability to shoot crisp and blur-free images. With the camera, you can capture 20.3 Megapixel high quality, beautiful Photographs. Also, its sensor was created without a low pass filter to ensure you get an improved photo quality.
For video recording, the Lumix GH5 features 4K 60p/50p UHD Video that records at faster frame rates giving excellent motion results. Also features 4K 60 fps /6K 30fps unlimited Photos Burst which allows you to capture the perfect moments with its high resolution.
|Weather sealing protects the camera from splash, moisture, dust, etc||It is bigger than the GH4|
|Compact and lightweight camera|
|Keep capturing, even under the rain|
|Mirrorless interchangeable lens camera|
|Gives excellent motion results|
- 24.3MP X Trans CMOS III APS-C sensor reduces moiré and false colors to improve image quality and X Processor Pro engine increases response times, achieves faster AF, lower noise and better color
- Dust and moisture resistant body with approximately 63 points of weather sealing; Freeze resistance to 14 Degree Fahrenheit
- High precision 0.48 inch, 2.36 million dot OLED viewfinder featuring a magnification of 0.77x and Ultra fast Real Time Viewfinder with a lag time of 0.005sec
- Full 4K 3840x2160 30P/25P/24P shooting (Using a card with the UHS Speed Class 3 or higher) ; Power supply: NP W126S Li ion battery (included)
- Tempered glass 1.04 million dot high-precision 3 Inches tilting LCD monitor with three-directional tilt.EVF Magnification ratio 0.77x, Shutter time lag 0.005 sec, 100fps live view. Operating Temperature: -10 degree Celsius - +40 degree Celsius
As you travel far and near, you might need a camera to capture your memories and events. You might want a lightweight camera such as the Fujifilm X-T2 Camera. The camera weighs 8.57 pounds. With its weight plus its dimensions of 8.1 x 11.4 x 5.7 inches, moving around a camera should not be a burden.
This camera is a mirrorless digital camera that features a 3-direction tilting LCD screen. It has an aperture range as small as f/1.4 and as extensive as f/16; hence, this camera will work fine in low light conditions. Fujifilm X-T2 comes with an 18-55mm f/2.8-4 Lens.
High definition camera, thanks to the X-Processor pro processing engine that operates with speed. OLED viewfinder of 0.77x, 2.36m-dot. III X-Trans CMOS.
|Weatherproofing body||Lacks internal stabilization|
|Can operate well in low light conditions|
- New 20.4 Megapixel Live MOS Sensor
- New TruePic VIII Dual Quad Core Image Processor, Auto focus Points Phase Detection: 121 (121 Cross Type),Contrast Detection: 121
- 60 frames per second S AF, 18 frames per second C AF (silent electronic shutter)
- 15 frames per second S AF, 10 frames per second C AF (mechanical shutter)
- 121 Point Dual Fast AF with Cross Type On Chip Phase Detection focusing
The Olympus OM-D E-M1 Mark II 4K Mirrorless Camera can give you the most memorable travel experience by capturing excellent images for you. It features 50 MP High-Resolution Shot Mode which captures eight shots automatically and at a go in just one second. Image blur is not a problem, thanks to its TruePic VIII Image Processor.
Who wants an extra load when travelling? This Olympus Camera is compact and lightweight, suitable for travels. With its lightness and shape that encourages good grip, you can comfortably hold your camera as you capture events. It also features the weatherproof function which protects the cam from splash, dust, moisture, and it is also freeze proof. You can shoot under various weather conditions without worrying.
The camera captures full resolution RAW images. Even without a Tripod, you can shoot ultra-smooth 4K video. While you can achieve cinema-quality video with its C4K (4096 x 2160) video up to a maximum bit rate of Mbps 237.
|5-Axis Image Stabilization||The camera may need a tripod for perfect and total blur free shots|
|Lightweight and compact|
|440 shots on one charge|
|Suitable for comfortable shooting|
- 24. 2 MP Full-Frame CMOS Sensor
- Leica Maestro II Image Processor
- Leica Summilux 28mm f/1. 7 ASPH Lens
- 3. 68 MP LCOS Integrated Electronic Viewfinder
- 3. 0" 1, 040k-Dot Touchscreen LCD Monitor
If you are looking for a camera that is intuitive, reactive and reliable, then this is it. Leica Q 24.2 Megapixel camera is exactly the camera you are seeking. It is an ergonomic and pragmatic camera that gives you fast access to all salient options. You have the touch screen or the buttons to set the auto-focus. You can go manual if you wish with the focus peaking and live view zoom aids. With Leica Q, your ideas can flawlessly come to life.
You can get blur-free videos even when moving. This high-quality camera is a Germany make; Put together with high-quality materials. The craftsmanship is outstanding as well. The camera promises durability at its peak. It has a good build for a comfortable grip.
What more? It has an inbuilt Wi-Fi module so you can share your files on social networks. You can download them via WLAN to your computer, tablet, and smartphone. You can also use the complimentary Leica Q app for the download.
|Wi-Fi and NFC connectivity enabled||No articulating screen|
|The camera housing has a Magnesium finishing|
|Compact and lightweight camera|
- Beach Camera is a CANON AUTHORIZED DEALER - Includes Full CANON USA WARRANTY
- PRO SERIES ALL INCLUSIVE CAMERA BUNDLE - Everything you need to go PRO
- BUNDLE INCLUDES: Sandisk 128GB and 64GB Extreme PRO SDXC UHS-1 Memory Cards
- Professional 18-180 TTL Power Zoom Flash for Canon | Vivitar Shotgun Condenser Microphone
- Vivitar Battery Grip | Quantity x 3 Rechargeable Batteries | Quick Travel Charger | Photographic Equipment Hard Case | Targus 3-Way Panhead 58" Tripod | 72" Monopod | 12" Compact Rubberized Spider Tripod | Flash Diffusers | Wireless Shutter Release Remote | Professional Lens Blower | LCD/Lens Cleaning Pen | Memory Card Reader | Memory Card Case | Cleaning Kit | CPS 1 Year Extended Warranty (Starts After the Manufacturer's Warranty Expires) | NEWLY RELEASED 2018 BEST VALUE BUNDLE
Here is a newly released 2018 camera that will meet your travel shots. It is versatile enough to shoot in nearly any light condition, thanks to its ISO range of 100-32000 which is extensive to 50-102400. Canon 5D Mark IV EOS features 30.4MP Full Frame. This DSLR Camera comes with Triple Battery, you do not have to worry about frequently charging your battery when on a tour. It also comes with Pro Video Recording abilities; 4K motion JPEG, EF 24-70mm.
This camera is of 4K 8.8-Megapixel images. It features an LCD monitor with touch screen abilities (full touch-screen interface). It also includes the selection of the AF area. With this fantastic feature, you can view and operate your camera with ease. It performs excellently- up to 7.0 fps. A travel camera that features a high performing image processor (DIGIC 6+). This ensures you get excellent image quality and continuous shooting speed.
|The camera features an inbuilt Wi-Fi and NFC connectivity|
|Inbuilt GPS for auto time syncing with UTC via satellites geotag information, etc.|
|Additional one year warranty|
|The bundle comes with SanDisk 128GB and 64GB|
|Provides excellent image quality|
Clearly, for travel cameras, the Panasonic GH5 Lumix 4K Mirrorless is the winner as far as our reviews are concerned. When we talk about travel cameras, this product has all it takes to class as the best.
It is a compact and lightweight camera that will not be a burden for you as you travel. Also, you can shoot under various weather conditions without worrying when you have this camera as your companion. Its weather sealing functions will surely protect the camera. You can even shoot under the rain.
After the shoots, you can save your files on social networks, thanks to the Wifi support. These and more have made us rank the Panasonic GH5 Lumix 4K Mirrorless as number one on our list. For your next travel, this might be what you need.
Did you like “Best Travel Camera”? We would greatly appreciate if you share this on your favorite social media channel.
Last update on 2020-01-19 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API